Accounts Payable Bookkeeper
Job Location: Kill Devil Hills
Kitty Hawk Kites has been teaching the world to fly since 1974. We strive to be the leading company in adventure recreation and retailing, by building a reputation for fun, and excellence through dedication to customer service, quality, safety, and value. This position is located in the Outer Banks, NC.
We are looking to add an Accounts Payable Bookkeeper to our team. The Bookkeeper in charge of accounts payable provides financial and administrative support to the Kitty Hawk Kites organization by maintaining accurate books and records on accounts payable, completing payments timely, verifying and reconciling invoices, expense reports and statements. Other responsibilities include billing related parties for shared costs, maintaining subsidiary records of property and equipment purchases, keeping licensing and registrations up to date, handling office deposits, managing company credit cards and related records, and utility accounts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Code and enter into general ledger all incoming non-merchandise invoices and any recurring payments in a timely manner to allow for payment within any applicable discount periods, and before any finance charges. Track receipt of merchandise invoices discount and due dates prior to inventory reconciliation.
- Be mindful of ordinary expense levels for recurring expenses and investigate unusual amounts that are signs of potential problems. Obtain proper approval for all non-recurring expenses.
- Process check payments of all invoices weekly and be the primary filer of all invoices for retrieval as needed.
- Prepare deposit slips and turn over to CFO for deposit all incoming office deposits in a timely manner, and record in general ledger.
- Update running balance record of checking account for all checks written and office deposits made.
- Bill and follow up on collection of receivables from related companies, commercial tenants, and other occasional billings. Reconcile to general ledger.
- Keep company credit cards secured and check them out to responsible employees as needed.
- Look for cost savings opportunities on any administrative or operating expenses.
- Assist CFO and Accounting Manager with numerous other projects.
- Assist with yearend physical inventory counts and other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent required; Associates Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or another related field a plus
- Previous accounts payable experience required (Knowledge of Great Plains accounting software a plus.)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite, Advanced in Excel a plus
- Prior a/p experience working with multiple locations and profit centers is preferred
- Excellent Customer Service Skills
- Professional, committed, and self-motivated with the ability to focus on daily tasks
- Possess strong communication skills to maintain contacts with internal teams and problem-solving skills to resolve discrepancies in the data or process
- Thorough and detail-oriented to manage multiple clients, tasks, and requests
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building abilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work with a high degree of confidentiality and in a deadline-driven environment
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
- The work environment for this position is in an office at a desk. Noise level is moderate; expect noises like telephones and office machines.
- May be requested to work overtime and weekends during the company’s in-season time period.
- May be requested to drive company vehicle to other locations.