Job Location: Kill Devil Hills
Kitty Hawk Kites has been teaching the world to fly since 1974. We strive to be the leading company in adventure recreation and retailing, by building a reputation for fun, and excellence through dedication to customer service, quality, safety, and value.
We are looking to add a Buyer to join our team! This analytical, trend-aware individual will support the delivery of key financial metrics, such as sales, open-to-buy, profit, margin, and promotional activities with focus on inventory management, business analysis, vendor/internal relationships, and product development for multiple locations.
The buyer will also be accountable for meeting goals that focus on driving profitability. Develop store and category sales plans, promotional activities and exit strategies. Define product needs by category that align with objectives and manage the optimal product assortment within the financial framework that meets or exceeds sales and margin plans.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Inventory management through planning, forecasting, replenishing, transfers and returns for multiple locations. Ensure inventory levels are sufficient and appropriate to support sales and align with other key financial goals, including forecasting and reacting to surges in product demand. Respond to changing sales trends, ensuring stores achieve planned sales, inventory levels and profitability.
- Monitor and track sales and sell-through daily and manage product selling life cycle. Thoroughly analyze category selling data. Use analytical skills to identify potential problems and develop appropriate solutions. Work with the warehouse to ensure correct flow of merchandize, replenish stores from back stock in warehouse.
- Maintain relationships with vendors to negotiate best price, guaranteed sales, markdown allowance, terms, and shipping cost to improve cost of goods sold. Perform vendor analysis including sales, profitability, turn, and markdowns.
- Determine pricing, margins, and markdowns on merchandise. Develop test strategies for new business and promotional ideas.
- Create a final assortment designed to drive sales: plan quantities and styles, perform category and item analyses, and develop key item strategies at price points. Quickly identify successful and/or profitable key item product categories and respond accordingly.
- Report to manager weekly on category metrics, prepare for and attend monthly Open-To-Buy meetings.
- Regularly visits stores to review the product and operation and evaluate processes, inventory movement, displays, merchandise assortment etc.
- Resolve any order issues, including pricing and arrange for timely returns and/or markdown strategies.
- Actively maintain up-to-date knowledge of market trends, regularly providing feedback on competition and customer experience. Demonstrate a commitment to quality.
- Manage the delivery of clear, comprehensive, and accurate product information, including training, to the stores.
- Partner with E-Commerce Manager to present fresh and on-trend products.
- Oversee file maintenance in an organized and secure manner, including vendor setup, SKU setup and product information.
- During 14 weeks of season, responsible for working in the stores one shift per week, and will be scheduled a 6 day work week.
- Attend Trade Shows as assigned.
- All other duties as assigned
Education, & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A) from four-year college or university in Business, or other related field preferred and/or Equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities
- 1 - 2 years related inventory management or buying experience and/or training, with multiple locations a plus.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite and OneNote, Advanced in Excel
- Experience with inventory management systems such as Counter Point or Retail Clarity a plus but not required.
LANGUAGE SKILLS Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public. Good communication skills – both verbal and written.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
REASONING ABILITY Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- The work environment for this position is generally an indoor controlled environment. Noise level is moderate; expect noises like office machines and light traffic.
- May be requested to work overtime and weekends during the company’s in-season time period.
- May be requested to drive company vehicle to other locations.
About 1/3 of one's time will be spent climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling. One-third to two-thirds of one's time will be spent standing, walking, sitting, and reaching. About 2/3 of one's time will be spent using one's hands to finger, handle or feel, as well as talking or hearing. Expect to lift up to 25 lbs on a regular basis. Vision required: close, color, peripheral, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Some other physical demands come from continuous computer work, cash register work, sales floor work, events work, and mail order work.
Please email email@example.com to apply!