Job Location: Kill Devil Hills
Buyer - Retail Merchandise Buyer
Opportunity for growth and long term employment are part of the Kitty Hawk Kites culture.
We are looking for an experienced retail buyer to join our team. Our ideal candidate is fashion-oriented in the area(s) of apparel, jewelry, and footwear that wants to develop a strong forward statement for the company. In addition, this candidate needs to be an excellent communicator, confident, and have a flair for negotiation, influencing people and networking.
Typical Work Activities
Typical work activities can vary according to the season. For example: out of season, the majority of the time will be spent in the workplace, during the buying season, a significant amount of time will be spent away from the workplace in order to assemble a new collection of merchandise and potentially in the stores.
Throughout the year, tasks typically involve:
- Research and analyzing trends
- Review weekly performance indicators for top sellers and maintain inventory levels to meet expanding sales
- Manage plans for stock levels, reacting to change in demand and logistics
- Meeting suppliers and negotiating terms of contract
- Maintain relationships with existing suppliers and sourcing new suppliers for future products
- Liaise with other departments within the organization to ensure projects are completed
- Attend trade shows to select and assemble new collections and write orders with established vendors
- Participate in promotional activities
- Write reports and sales forecasts, and analyze sales figures got your category
- Liaising with store personnel to ensure product/collection supply meets demand
- Seek merchandise feedback from managers and merchandising team
- Train and mentor sales staff in stores about specific categories you are responsible for
- Working hours are frequently longer than 8:30 to 5:30. Buyers are generally expected to work until the job is completed and this may mean putting in extra hours so good time-management skills is critical.
- Buying is mostly office-based, although, traveling to trade shows and on-site visits to vendors in order to source new products is expected.
- There is travel throughout the year to trade shows.
- Buyers often visit store locations and during the busy season are required to work in the stores at leas one day a week to assist with sales, merchandising and inventory.
- Buyers assist in setting up new locations and may be required to travel to other states for sales and other events. Participation in these events is required in OBX.
- This role involves frequent contact with wholesalers, manufacturers, and suppliers.
- Flexibility is important.
Although this area of work is open to all, we are looking for someone with preferably a Bachelor’s degree and 4+ years of fashion/apparel buying/merchandising experience for multiple retail locations, with at least 2 years of in-store experience, is preferred. Candidates should demonstrate a strong interest in and commitment to an resort ocean atmosphere.
Potential candidates will need to show evidence of the following:
- Excellent analytical skills
- Strong negotiating and planning skills are a must
- Must have exceptional communication skills which are essential
- Creative flair and good ideas
- Team working ability
- Great organizational skills
- Make important decisions
- Cope with the pressure of meeting demanding targets and working to tight deadlines
- Get along with a wide range of people
- Determination to succeed
- Industrial/commercial awareness
- Must be ready to multi-task
- Leadership ability with a positive outlook
- Proficient with Microsoft Office including Excel advanced functions (i.e. V look up, Pivot Tables, Macros, etc.) and a working knowledge of POS system are a must.
Benefits do include free recreation activities, health - medical, vision and dental, 401K and more!
Kitty Hawk Kites, Inc is an Equal Opportunity Employer.