Opening A Business on the Outer Banks, NC
Operating a business in a resort area with a population that varies from 34,608 in Dare County, 24,282 in Currituck County and 769 on Ocracoke Island during the winter months to over 275,000 people per day during the peak summer season can be a challenge.
The Outer Banks Chamber of Commerce can help connect you with what you need to be successful. From permits to business plans, location selection, business loans, employee training and more, we can connect you with the area's best resources.
*While businesses located in Dare County may not be required to have a business license, they are subject to Business Personal Property Tax.
*Businesses operating as a hotel, motel, cottage court, or weekly rental are also subject to an occupancy tax. For more information contact the Occupancy Tax Department at 252.475.5964
*Businesses operating as a food service are also subject to a meals tax. For more information contact the Food & Beverage Department at 252.475.5957
*For business licensing information for all required licensing in the state of North Carolina call 1.800.228.8443 or visit the State of North Carolina web site
Information about county business licenses and taxes that businesses are responsible for can be obtained by contacting the Dare County Tax Office at (252) 475-5950 or Currituck County Tax Office at (252) 232-3005.
Need a loan? A listing of local banks can be found in our on-line business directory. In addition, Chamber members are eligible for StreetShares.
Other Important Contacts:
- County of Currituck (252) 232-2075
- County of Dare (252) 475-5000
- County of Hyde (252)928-4178
- Town of Manteo (252) 473-2133
- Town of Kill Devil Hills (252) 449-5300
- Town of Kitty Hawk (252) 261-3552
- Town of Nags Head (252) 441-5508
- Town of Southern Shores (252) 261-2394
- Town of Duck(252) 255-1234
- Internal Revenue Service 1-800-829-1040
- Social Security Office (252) 338-1155
- Small Business Administration (704) 344-6563. Loan & Program Answer Desk: 1-800-827-5722
- NC Dept. of Labor (919) 807-2796 or 1-800-NCLABO
- Employment Security Comm. (252) 480-3500
- NC Dept. of Revenue (252)480-0709 (Wednesdays only)
- Sales & Use Tax (919) 733-2151
- Corporate Tax Division (919)733-8510
- Business License Information (919) 807-4280 or 1-800-228-8443
- OSHA (919) 790-8096
- EPA (202) 272-0167
- US Dept. of Commerce (202) 482-2000